This blog has now moved to "Cady May's Corner"
http://cadymayscorner.blogspot.com
where I post a bit about spinning, spindolyns and sheep and farm stuff.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Knitted Finger Ringers and Wrister

IMG_4033s

(scroll down to go directly to the pattern and skip the background)
Over the years I have worn out my hands. 'Tis true. I could blame it on arthritis, or poor circulation, or candida or even bad genes. But the truth is more likely that I started life with delicate small hands, and over the years did "big guy" work with them.
Farming, wood working, gardening, tree climbing, furniture making, plumbing, milking, firewood splitting...that is on top of spinning, knitting, wool carding (you know, drum carding is harder on your hands than you might think) weaving, rock wall building, basketmaking (now there is another real joint stresser) and computer typing.
So, a few years back, I started taking them seriously, treating them a little kinder, being more conscious of their needs...Perhaps I am supremely naive, but I prefer to figure it is never too late for redemption.
My hands spent last winter in fingerless gloves, keeping them warm really helped.
This winter, fingerless gloves are just "too much" And wristers are not enough.
I have graduated to "Finger Ringers with Matching Wristers"
The first set was hand knit (as in, gee, this is fun, and look how quickly it moves along! One, two, three fingers, snap! your done)

IMG_4043s

Then it happened. As soon as I could try on one set in delight, I was both happy and bored. The same syndrome as "second sock syndrome" has set in.
So, the second set, I plan to knit on the LK 150.

Here is the handknit version (with commentary) This is a very quick project, I had a ball of Better Buny Blend spun up that was perfectly soft and warm for this project.

IMG_4044s

IMG_4048
Hand Knit Finger Ringers with Matching Wrister Warmer
Finger Ringers are knit on two needles with the double knit (or tubular) method of knitting. There are of course, many ways to make glove fingers (circular, icord, etc) but tubular works quick for these little ringers.

  • Yarn: Soft "Sport Weight" Wool (illustrated in my handspun "Better Bunny Blend"® dyed with pokeberry years ago so that by now it has already faded)
  • Gauge: 5.5 st/inch US #3 short needles (or size to obtain gauge) I used 3 flexible US #3 needles from a 5 needle set that is coincidentally missing the other two needles)

The Set Up for Tubular Knitting

CO 12 stitches with long tail cast on.
Slip half (6) of these 12 stitches on to a second needle, fold this cast on row so that you can hold these two needles with their respective 6 stitches on each needle side by side.
Using the third needle, first slip one stitch from the front needle, then one stitch from the back needle. Continue alternating in this way, until all twelve stitches are back on a single needle.
Now you are ready to tubular knit.

  • Row 1 - Knit the first stitch, slip the second stitch as if to purl. Continue across row.
  • Row 2 -Turn and Repeat row 1

What you are doing by slipping every other stitch, is knitting only across the front side of the tube, when you turn, you will be knitting the back of the tube and slipping the front tube stitches.8

  • Knit until your ring is the width you want (my rings are 8 rows tall)

To bind off, you have to get the ring back onto two needles so it will be a tube shape. Just pull the needle out of the knitting and the stitches will fall to the front and to the back. Then pick them up onto two needles...or, if you don't feel brave, you could carefully use two needles to slip the first stitch onto the first needle, and the second stitch onto the second needle.

  • Bind off with a crochet bind off, or other stretchy bind off of your choice.

Wrister Warmer is knit circularly on dpn (you could also knit it tubular if you want, but it is big enough to knit comfortably with double pointed needles)

  • CO 32 st (for narrow wrists) with long tail cast-on.
  • Knit 9 rows
  • Knit 1 purl row
  • Knit 9 rows
  • Bind off with stetchy bind off of your choice (I used a loose crochet cast off)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some of that bunny blend in my stash . . . what is the gadget you are writing with?? I've done the wrister thing for Penny and am thankful she keeps them at her desk so I can grab them whenever I want ;-) . . . hmmm, rings, will need to give it some thought.

Cady May said...

Hi Lea-Ann,
The "gadget" is a wacom bamboo graphics tablet. Back last year my fingers got so bad I couldn't type, so I got the tablet and some software to convert my handwriting and wrote all emails, etc with the tablet pen. I am glad I can type again, but I LOVE the tablet, the feel of using a pen seems so much more "like me" than a mouse, so most times, I use it in place of a mouse. It is great in charting applications, and for sketching patterns.

Cady May said...

Just as an aside, I am finding that I usually wear only the thumb, pointer and pinkie of the set. This keeps my hands amazingly warm along with the wrister.

Anonymous said...

That make me feel so warm. You're like a renaissance woman! You can do so many things SO ridiculously well!

Thanks,
Mercy

Unknown said...

Very strange, however, I am going to knit up one of the ringers for sure.
On Monday my husband lost his wedding band while doing yard work. He was wearing gloves but, at one point had taken them off to use the hose and somehow the ring fell off. We looked for it for 4 days, and sifted through yard clippings etc. We were just heartsick, and I kept thinking if I only had a metal detector!
Well, crazy as it sounds, I put an ad up on craigslist and asked if any one had a metal detector and would use it in my yard to try and find the ring, and got several offers. Today 2 men buddies came and amazingingly enough they found the ring within 5 minutes! Blessings from above!! My husband and I have both been teary over this all day, we have been married for 40 years and although the ring was a material thing, which we could live without....we are joyful to have it returned.
Now I will knit him a ring guard in hopes that it will eliminate that happening again. He can just wear it when he has his work gloves on. Maybe this could be a ring guard. !! Just another silly idea.

alex lee said...

we create best clothing to wear for our customers.We make all kinds of clothing accessories for men and women.Just come and see for yourself:knitted apparel